The association of a MF or UF step with a bioreactor enables to increase by a significant way the biomass concentration inside the reactor and by this way, to reduce the volumes and to reach a water quality much higher than those obtained with conventional biological treatment processes (specifically in terms of disinfection).
The limiting points remain:
- the optimization of cellular activity
- the control of micro-pollutants removal
- the intensification of transfers and / or membrane selectivity
- the valorization of by-products.
From an economical point of vue, the following points have also to be taken into account:
- the power consumption (for aeration),
- the configuration of new membrane systems and bioreactors.
These objectives are those of a project in progress in the department, which is coordinator of the ANR project Ecotech international CREATIVERU (4 french partners, UM2, INSAT, INRA, Veolia Envt, and 4 academic Chinese partners, Péking, Tsingha, Tongji et Tianjin Universities).
Moreover, various international collaborations are developed on this topic (Australia, Thailand, Tunisie, Maroc…).